My photo
Appointments in Danielson and N Stonington CT, and via Skype, FaceTime and telephone - 1/2 hour session $30.00 US.

When Opportunity Knocks!

Throughout life, we are given one opportunity at a time. In that moment when an opportunity presents itself, we are given as much time as we need to decide if we choose to accept that opportunity. What happens if we choose not to accept it? Our lives continue in the same direction that we were headed.

It is my belief that we are experiential beings. We are here to have experiences. The opportunities that present themselves afford us the ability to experience new and different aspects of who we really are. If we do not take advantage of an opportunity, it may be lost to us.

It is also my belief that we are magnetic beings. We are continuously calling forth experiences to us to help us learn and grow so we can become who we came to be. Which is not necessarily the same person we are in this moment.

For example, I worked with a young girl a few years back. Her desire for our session was to help her make a life altering decision. She had recently been on vacation in the island of St. Johns and met a young man who she felt very attracted to. Within a week's time, he invited her back to the island to live giving her possibly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

What she knew about this opportunity is that she love St. Johns. She also knew that she was very attracted to this man and that the only thing in her way was the great intimidator called fear.

As I listened to her dreams, desires and fears, I could only share my own experiences and wisdom in life. As the old saying goes, "if only I knew then what I know now.." I felt confident to tell her that this opportunity may never come again. "If you choose to go and you find you don't like it, you can always come back. However, if you choose not to go, you may always wonder what could have been."

She chose to go. Four years later, she is still living on island and loving every minute. I see her when she comes home for visits. She looks happy and content with the choice she made.

I had a similar experience. My new partner recently had an opportunity to fulfill his life-long dream of buying a home on a Caribbean island. Once purchased, he asked, "You're coming with me, aren't you?" Like everyone, my fears reared their ugly little head, and every excuse imaginable came to mind as to why I could not go. Understanding the ego and how it does not want us to change and grow, I pushed my fears aside and thought, "If I'm not happy there, I can always come home." Today I am in my second year of working and playing on the island of Montserrat for the winter. And I am happy that I allowed this opportunity to manifest.

Are opportunities doorways that lead us in a direction that we have been asking to be led? And if we choose not to experience that opportunity, are we choosing to limit ourselves, returning to patterns we don't even enjoy?

As I always expressed, I want to end my life with the thought, "I'm so glad I did", instead of "I wish I had..." How do you choose to live your life?

No comments: