My photo
Appointments in Danielson and N Stonington CT, and via Skype, FaceTime and telephone - 1/2 hour session $30.00 US.

The Healing Properties of Manuka Honey - Don't leave home without it!

Manuka honey is abundant with healing properties. It is touted as anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-inflammatory, as well as espousing to antioxidant benefits. It is produced by bees who pollinate the Manuka bush or tree, which is native to New Zealand. So it is quite unique in it’s design.

I recently had an occasion to put its healing capabilities to test. I don’t recommend anyone testing it my way; however, if you ever have an incident where it’s needed, I give it a big 5 stars. This is my story.


I was way too quickly chopping fresh herbs with a newly sharpened knife, and my hand slipped. I immediately realized a piece of my index finger had been sliced off at the tip with one quick flick of that knife. I knew this was going to be a problem; some things you just know.


I quickly wrapped the tip of my finger in a paper towel and taped it as tight as I could to try to stop the bleeding. My next instinct was to find the hypericum and arnica to help begin the healing process. 


The following day, a friend noticed my obvious problem and asked what happened. Her knowledgable reply was go get Manuka honey immediately. I had read about Manuka honey in the past, yet had not really had the need to use it. I needed it now!


CVS carried a nice assortment. I chose a Manuka coated bandaid, topping it with a waterproof bandaid to keep it dry and in place. Life has to go on even if my finger could not. The switch from paper towel to a bandaid fix was quite painful, and help was needed to accomplish the task.


A short 2 to 3 days later, noticeable improvement was occurring. My finger was healing. It was no longer bleeding and the throbbing pain was almost non-existent. I replaced the bandaids daily and watched with fascination how quickly the body can heal with a little help from our natural friends.


Within a week, I was able to remove the bandages and begin to use my finger in an almost normal fashion. Today, there is no sign of the injury or the pain. My finger is completely healed and happy.


Manuka honey has also been used to treat sore throats, tooth decay and digestive issues. You can read more about the healing benefits of Manuka honey here:


https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/manuka-honey-uses-benefits#TOC_TITLE_HDR_2


And for those who need a more scientific approach:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6613335/


In my humble opinion, Manuka honey is a wise addition to anyone’s medicine cabinet.

No comments: